WHERE DO I GO FOR HELP WITH...?
On-Campus Resources for the Columbia Community
Research Data Consulting: Research Data Services
Creating a Data Management Plan:
Funder Requirements: Office of Sponsored Projects Administration
Public Access Mandates: Columbia Research
Research Data Storage: Columbia Research
Research Integrity: ReaDI Program
Increase the visibility of your research: Making your data available to other researchers through widely-searched and well-indexed repositories can help you demonstrate continued use of your data and make an argument for the relevance of your research.
Facilitate discovery: Enabling other researchers to use your data reinforces open scientific inquiry and can lead to new and unanticipated discoveries. Opening up your research data prevents duplication of effort—allowing the research community to focus on results, rather than on replicating data collection that has already been done.
Satisfy funder & journal requirements: Many funding agencies and some journals now require that researchers deposit data they collect during their research in an open-access repository. For more information about funder requirements, see the Office of Sponsored Projects Administration.
Establish priority: Data posted online can be timestamped to establish the date they were produced, blocking “scooping” tactics.
Speed up essential research: Open data sharing can accelerate discovery rates and foster further inquiry.
Finding a Suitable Data Repository
- FAIRsharing: searchable curated registry of databases, repositories, (inter-related to) data/metadata standards, and data policies by journals/publishers and funders (International)
- re3data.org: Registry of Research Data Repositories with detailed information about over 2000 research data repositories (International)
Creating a Research Data Management Plan
- Data Stewardship Wizard ELIXIR CZ and NL
- DMPonline Digital Curation Centre (DCC), UK
- DMPTool University of California Curation Center of the California Digital Library (CDL)
- Data Management Plan Catalogue LIBER Research Data Management Working Group
- Practical Guide on Research Data Management Science Europe Member Organisations